Galle, Sri Lanka: The first test of the 2010 3-test series between SL and India started on July 18. Here are the highlights of the 5 days of play. On First Day, SL ended on 256/2. Second day was washed off due to rain.
Venue: Galle 18th – 22nd July
Captains: Dhoni (India), Sangakkara (SL)
NT Paranavitana , TM Dilshan, KC Sangakkara, DPMD Jayawardene, TT Samaraweera, AD Mathews, HAPW Jayawardene, HMRKB Herath, SL Malinga, M Muralitharan, UWMBCA Welegedara
G Gambhir, V Sehwag, R Dravid, SR Tendulkar, VVS Laxman, Yuvraj Singh, MS Dhoni*â€ , Harbhajan Singh, PP Ojha, Ishant Sharma, A Mithun
Special Facts of First Test
1. Muralitharan played his last test, calling quits to international cricket.
2. Abhimanyu Mithun started his career for India.
SL won the toss and elected to bat. First blood was drawn by the debutant Mithun. But, the dark clouds did not let India complete full quota of 90 overs for the day. At the end of the day, SL had full control ending the day at 256/2. The four bowler Indian attack could not impress much.
Features of the day
1. Paranavitana, the SL left-hand opener, scored his first century in Test matches, remaining not out.
2. Sangakkara scored his 22nd century before being out on 103.
3. Mithun opened his account in his debut match with the wicket of Dilshan.
4. Sehwag took another wicket for India.
5. Ishant Sharma, Mithun, Harbhajan Singh, Pragyan Ojha and Sehwag bowled for India.
6. Paranavitana and Sangakkara shareda partnership of 181 runs for 2nd wicket.
Scorecard on Day 1
Paranavitana not out 101 runs
Dilshan C Dhoni b Mithun 25 runs
Sangakkara c Tendulkar b Sehwag 103 runs
Mahela not out on 1
Fall of Wickets
1 – 55 (Dilshan, 10.1 overs), 2-236 (Sangakkara, 61.1 overs)
1. The 2nd Wicket Partnership was the 2nd best for SL against India. 576 run partnership between Jayasuriya and Roshan Mahanama for 2nd wicket is the best partnership for any wicket between SL and Ind.
2. Paranavitana and Sangakkara scored century number 77 and 78 in Ind Vs SL series.
3. Their century was 36 and 37th century by SL against India in Test matches.
4. Sangakkara scored 4th test century against India.