Galle, Sri Lanka: Starting Day 4, Sehwag hit his 20th century but with his rash shot started batting collapse and India was asked to follow on. At the end of the day they have already lost 5 crucial wickets and were 63 runs behind. 5th Day awaits Murali’s 800 wickets, and SL’s victory. Murali just needs 2 more wickets to extend his record to 800. India finished Day 4 on 181/5 and are just about to play a part in giving perfect winning farewell to the bowling legend Muralitharan.
The first test of the 2010 3-test series between SL and India started on July 18. Here are the highlights of the 4th day of the first test. SL declared at 520/8. India played 29.4 overs to score 140/3 on Day 3.
Venue: Galle 18th – 22nd July
Captains: Dhoni (India), Sangakkara (SL)
NT Paranavitana , TM Dilshan, KC Sangakkara, DPMD Jayawardene, TT Samaraweera, AD Mathews, HAPW Jayawardene, HMRKB Herath, SL Malinga, M Muralitharan, UWMBCA Welegedara
G Gambhir, V Sehwag, R Dravid, SR Tendulkar, VVS Laxman, Yuvraj Singh, MS Dhoni*â€ , Harbhajan Singh, PP Ojha, I Sharma, A Mithun
1. Muralitharan will play his last test, calling quits to international cricket.
2. Abhimanyu Mithun starts his career for India.
The day started with Sehwag completing another good century and another instance of other Indian batsmen pressing the panic button too early resulting into a follow-on for them. Murali excelled even in his last test with his 67th 5 wicket haul.
Even in the second innings, India is already 4 wickets down. With one more day remaining, two questions will be answered tomorrow: Will Murali take 2 of the remaining 5 Indian wickets to complete record 800 wickets!! When will SL complete the formality of victory?
Rain can decide to become a hero and spoil both the answers.
Features of the day
1. Sehwag scored his 20th century
2. Murali took 5 wickets in an innings for record 67th time.
3. Sachin and Dravid shared record 18th century partnership.
4. Dravid became involved in record 84th century partnership in test matches.
Scorecard on Day 4
Indian 1st inning 276
Gambhir lbw b Malinga 2 runs
Sehwag c Paranavitana b Welegedara 109 runs
Dravid run out 18 runs
Tendulkar lbw b Muralitharan 8 runs
Laxman c Dilshan b Malinga 22 runs
Yuvraj c DPMD Jayawardene b Muralitharan 52 runs
Dhoni b Muralitharan 33 runs
Harbhajan st HAPW Jayawardene b Herath 2 runs
Ishant not out 5 runs
Pragyan Ojha c DPMD Jayawardene b Muralitharan 3 runs
Mithun b Muralitharan 8 runs
Fall of Wickets
1-2 (Gambhir, 0.2 ov), 2-68 (Dravid, 12.2 ov), 3-101 (Tendulkar, 20.4 ov), 4-169 (Sehwag, 36.2 ov), 5-178 (Laxman, 39.3 ov), 6-252 (Dhoni, 54.5 ov), 7-259 (Yuvraj Singh, 56.6 ov), 8-259 (Harbhajan Singh, 57.2 ov), 9-266 (Ojha, 62.3 ov), 10-276 (Mithun, 64.6 ov)
India (f/o) 2nd innings
Gambhir c HAPW Jayawardene b Malinga 0
Sehwag c DPMD Jayawardene b Welegedara 31 runs
Dravid c Sangakkara b Malinga 44 runs
Tendulkar lbw Malinga 85 runs
Laxman not out 9 runs
Yuvraj c DPMD Jayawardene b Muralitharan 5 runs
Fall of Wickets
1-0 (Gambhir, 0.3 ov), 2-42 (Sehwag, 10.3 ov), 3-161 (Dravid, 52.4 ov), 4-172 (Tendulkar, 54.3 ov), 5-181 (Yuvraj Singh, 59.3 ov)
1. The 2nd Wicket Partnership was their 2nd best for SL against India. 576 run partnership between Jayasuriya and Roshan Mahanama for 2nd wicket is the best partnership for any wicket between SL and Ind.
2. Paranavitana and Sangakkara scored century number 77 and 78 in Ind Vs SL series.
3. Their century was 36 and 37th century by SL against India in Test matches.
4. Sangakkara scored 4th test century against India.
5. Malinga scored his first half century in test matches.
6. Sehwag scored his 20th century.
7. Muralitharan took his 67th 5 wicket haul.
8. Tendulkar and Dravid extended their record century partnerships to 18.
9. Dravid has now been a partner in record 84 century partnerships.
10. Dravid became the second batsman in Test history to reach 9000 Test runs at the no. 3 position. Ricky Ponting heads the table with 9447, while Kumar Sangakkara is at third spot with 7019.