The barbaric Barbados was no more the picture of gloom to India. Although Indians failed to create a record first win there, but they would not be unhappy to have played only the second draw at Barbados, losing 7 in 9 matches. Besides Laxman’s record two half-centuries, it was Ishant Sharma who brought India close to victory. In the process he bagged 10-wickets in the match, producing the 6th best Indian performance in Away-Test matches.
At home, Indian bowlers have provided 29 instances of grabbing 10 wickets or more in a Test match.
Ishant Sharma took 10 wickets giving away 108 runs in 41.2 overs bowled in both innings. In the first innings he produced his best-ever bowling performance taking 6 wickets for 55 runs. In the second innings he grabbed 4 of the 7 WI wickets that fell in the chase of 281 runs.
His bowling performance of 10 for 108 is the 6th best by any Indian bowler in Away matches. Before him 5 different bowlers have produced the feat, with Irfan Pathan grabbing 2 such record performance.
Other 5 Best Performances
The magical spinner Chandrasekhar leads the record with 12/104 against Australia in 1977.
Irfan Pathan has second and fourth best performances with 12/126 against Zimbabwe in 2005 and 11/96 against Bangladesh in 2004.
Anil Kumble, the highest Indian wicket taker, with 12/279 against Australia produced 3rd best performance in 2004.
Prasanna, another magical spinner of the famous spin quadrat, registered record 5th best Indian performance with 11/140 against New Zealand in 1976.
11 Performances of 10+ wickets by Indian Bowlers
Ishant has provided only the 11th instance of 10-wickets or more performance in a Test match by any Indian bowler Away from India. Besides the top 6 performance, including that of Ishant, Zaheer, Venkatesh Prasad, Harbhajan, Chetan Sharma and Bishan Singh Bedi have earned a place in the record books.
Other 5 Performances
Zaheer Khan has 10/149 against Bangladesh in 2010.
Venkatesh Prasad grabbed 10/153 against South Africa in 1996.
Harbhajan Singh earned 10/153 against Sri Lanka in 2008.
Chetan Sharma earned 10/188 against England in 1986.
Bishan Singh Bedi grabbed 10/194 against Australia in 1997.
Interesting Facgts about 10 or more wicket Performances
1. Irfan Pathan is the only bowler to have earned the distinction twice.
2. 6 of such record performance has been earned by Fast bowlers – Irfan Pathan (2), Ishant Sharma, Zaheer Khan, Venkatesh Prasad and Chetan Sharma.
3. 5 spinners have earned the record performance. While current great Kumble and Harbhajan have achieved the feat, other three spinners – Chandrasekhar, Prasanna and Bedi belong to great quadrat spinners of the 1970s.
4. Most ironic performance has come from Bishan Singh Bedi. Being a spinner, he achieved the feat at Perth, considered to be one of the fastest pitch in the World.
5. 5 of the 11 record performances has come post 2000, 3 in the 1970s, 1 each in 1970, 1980 and 2011.
6. Australia has been the biggest victim in this record with 3 out of the 11 performances coming against them.
7. 2 performances each have been produced against Bangladesh and West Indies. Other four performances came against Zimbabwe, South Africa, Sri Lanka and England.
8. Prasanna was the first Indian bowler to grab 10-wickets in Away matches.