India and New Zealand have played 4 Twenty20 internationls with Kiwis dominating in all the matches. The 4th Twenty20 at Visakhapatnam was washed out. Here is a summary of their T20 history.
The first T20 World Champions lost only one match on their way to the trophy and that was only against the Kiwis, and later lost both T20 during their New Zealand tour in 2009. India has the opportunity to register a win against Kiwis in T20s. But with the first T20 already washed out, more than Kiwis rain would pose the big challenge for India to register the first victory in T20 against Kiwis.
First T20: New Zealand def India by 10 runs in Johannesburg, World Cup 2007
Scorecard: NZ 190, Ind 180/9
- Send to bat first, Kiwis were bowled out for 190 in 20 overs. Opener Brendum McCullum (31-ball 45 runs), McMillan (23-ball 44 runs with a four and 4 sixes), Jacob Oram (15-ball 35 runs with 2 fours, 3 sixes), and Vettori (5-ball 15 runs) took them to a high total.
Indian bowlers were hapless. Harbhajan Singh’s 2/24 in 4 overs was the best performance. RP Singh grabbed 2/29, Sreesanth 1/37, Yuvraj 1/38, Agarkar 0/40 and Irfan Pathan 0/10 were taken to cleaners.
- India started the chase scoring 76 runs in 5.5 overs with Sehwag (17-ball 40 runs with 2 4s and 2 sixes), and Gambhir (33-ball 51 runs with 5 fours 2 sixes) almost taking India to victory. But, then captain Vettori came to rescue of Kiwis and his 4.20 in 4 overs allowed India to score only 104 runs in next 14.1 overs, and lost the match by a wicket despite having a wicket at hand. Dhoni scored 20-ball 24 runs, Dinesh Karthik scored 12-ball 17 runs. Uthappa (0) and Yuvraj (5 runs) failed with bat. Sreesanth’s 10-ball 19 runs gave India a respectful loss.
For New Zealand other bowlers were not so economical as their captain. Bond 1/39, Jeeten Patel 1/38, Oram 1/14, Styris 0/25 and Gillespie 0/42 were taken to cleaners. Vettori was the difference between the two teams, and was elected the Player of the Match.
2nd T20: New Zealand def India by 7 wickets in Christchurch, 2009
Scorecard: Ind 162/8, NZ 166/3 (18.5 ov)
- Sent to bat first India scored a decent total of 162/8. Openers Gambhir (7-ball 6 runs) and Sehwag (10-ball 26 runs with 4 sixes) failed. Raina’s unbeaten 61 runs (in 43 balls with 2 fours and 5 sixes) took India to a decent total. Rohit Sharma (7), Yuvraj (1) and Dhoni (2) failed. Yusuf Pathan (8-ball 20 runs), Irfan Pathan 14-ball 12 runs) and Harbhajan (22-ball 21 runs) helped Raina.
Vettori was again the pick of the bowler with 1/18. O’Brien and Butler grabbed 2 wickets each. Southee, Nathan McCullum and Ryder grabbed a wicket each.
- Brendum McCullum (56*) and Guptill (41) supported by Ross Taylor’s 31-runs and Oram’s 15-ball 29* runs took Kiwis to easy win.
Zaheer, Ishant and Harbhajan took a wicket each. Harbhajan was again the most economical. Brendum McCullum was the Player of the match.
3rd T20: New Zealand def India by 5 wickets in Wellington, 2009
Scorecard: Ind 149/6, NZ 150/5
- A thriller saw reaching the winning score on the last ball of the match. Sent to bat first India scored below 150 runs, Kiwis were made to sweat. Yuvraj’s half-century (33-ball 50 runs with 4 sixes and 3 boundaries), and Dhoni’s unbeaten 28 runs made India reach 149/6. Sehwag (11-ball 24 runs), Jadeja (19 runs), Irfan Pathan (15*), Gambhir (13-ball 10 runs), Raina (0), Yusuf Pathan (0) were the other batsmen.
Ryder was the most economical 0/18, with Vettori taking 1/21. Butler and O’Brien taking 2 wickets each, Southee got 1 wicket.
- Ryder (15-runs 26 balls with 3 boundaries, 2 sixes) started a quick chase adding 53 runs in 4.4 overs with Brendum McCullum (55-ball 69 runs with 8 boundaries and a six), but Indian bowlers got India back in the match. In the end the total was 5-10 runs less as Kiwis lost only 3 wickets and won on the last ball.
For India Irfan Pathan 2/41, Zaheer Khan 1/30, Yuvraj 1/17 were among the wickets but along with Ishant Sharma 0/19 they were expensive. Harbhajan 1/15 was the pick of the bowler alongwith 0/21 by Jadeja.
Brendum McCullum was declared Player of the Match for his patient knock to take his team to victory.
5th T20: New Zealand def India by 1 run in Chennai, 2012
4th T20 at Viskhapatnam was washed out.