Gayle and Malinga are the biggest destroyers in IPL. Malinga was not part of 2008, while Gayle got no chance of playing a match. 2009 and 2010 were not so destructive for both. But in 2011 and 2012 they have taken the IPL to a level where nobody can think of matching their feats for some time to come. But both are yet to destroy each other despite having a monstrous record with bat in the last 5 editions which nobody can match. Can the records prove who is the best!!! Let us check.
Only 26 runs scored in 34 balls faced that too without a six by Gayle, may make Malinga look better, but then in the 4 matches they have faced each other so far, Malinga has never been able to take Gayle’s wicket whereas Gayle whacked other bowlers twice to get the MOM.
Face-to-Face in IPL
Malinga has bowled 34 balls, with 2 wides, and 17 dot balls.
Gayle got 26 runs with 3 boundaries, 11 singles, one triple.
1st Match, Malinga did not play as Gayle went on to receive MOM.
- First match, Malinga’s 12 balls to him fetched a boundary and 3 singles. Gayle scored match winning unbeaten 59-ball 82 runs (6 sixes and 5 boundaries), while Malinga had a good economy of 20/0 in his 4 overs.
2nd match saw Gayle being bowled by Munaf Patel in 3rd over. As a result Malinga was not able to bowl to him.
- They did not play the matches against each other.
- 1st Match, 17 balls, 2 boundaries, 6 singles, 1 triple. Playing for KKR, Gayle scored 60-ball 75 runs, Malinga had 28/0 in 4 overs.
2nd match, both did not play.
- 1st Match, 3 balls, 2 singles. Malinga had a figure of 3/11 in 2.2 overs. Gayle scored 11-ball 12 runs.
2nd match, did not face as Gayle was out in 3rd over before Malinga came to bowl.
- Both did not play either of the matches.
The Biggest Destructive Duo
While Malinga has started his IPL career with Mumbai Indians only, Gayle was first selected for Kolkata Knight Riders from 2008-10 and then mid-way in 2011 edition as he was not playing for any team, Royal Challengers Bangalore got him as replacement. His arrival at RCB saw his most destructive form.
|2008||No Team||Not Played|
|2009||18 Wkts, 13 Ings||171 Runs, 7 Ings|
|2010||15 Wkts, 13 Ings||292 Runs, 9 Ings|
|2011||28 Wkts, 16 Ings||608 Runs, 12 Ings|
|2012||22 Wkts, 14 Ings||733 Runs, 14 Ings|
|2013||5 Wkts, 5 Ings||432 Runs, 8 Ings|
|All||88 Wkts, 61 Ings||2236 runs, 50 Ings|
Overall IPL Record
- 88 wickets, joint highest with Amit Mishra, in 237 overs bowled in 61 innings with 5 maidens. He has given 1504 runs, with an average of 17.09, economy of 6.34 and strike rate of 16.1. 5/13 is his best. Besides that he has taken 4 wickets on 4 occasions.
- 2236 runs, 4th highest in IPL (till Match 35 of 6th edition), in only 50 innings with 10 unbeaten knocks. Overall 175* is his highest in 4 centuries 14 half-centuries with an average of 55.90 and strike rate of 163.33. His 163 sixes is a record by miles as no other batsmen has touched 100 sixes mark till the 35th match of 6th edition. He has also hit 182 boundaries and has 3 ducks against his name.
Record of Wickets:
- 28 wickets by Malinga in 2011 is overall record for number of wickets taken by a bowler in any edition.
Record of Runs
- 733 runs by Gayle in 2012 is the first time any batsmen has crossed 700-run aggregate in IPL.
Purple and Orange Caps
- Malinga was the Purple Cap Winner in 2011.
Gayle was the Orange Cap winner in 2011 and 2012, and even in 2013 after 35 matches he is the Orange Cap holder.
Player of the Series
- Gayle received the award for taking RCB to the final in 2011 and scoring the maximum runs, and also taking 8 wickets in 36 overs of 12 innings.
Overall without doubt they are the most destructive forces in their respective batting and bowling departments in IPL. Probably they are silent admirer of each other.
Both are equal winners, Malinga can claim big economy rate and not being hit for sixes against Gayle as economy is a big factor in T20, while Gayle can claim Malinga has never got wicket, as then he made merry against the remaining bowlers.