Group C provided four teams with equal opportunities to qualify for next round as there were no big teams involved. Japan failed to grab the chance as it could only draw one. Just the presence of Old and tired Drogba was not enough to take Ivory Coast further as they failed third time. Greece registered the win at the right time and despite negative goal difference grabbed the second place behind Colombia which swallowed all the three with emphatic wins. Colombia takes on Uruguay, while Greece plays Costa Rica in the Round of 16.
Summary: Group A, Group B, Group D
FIFA World Cup 2014: Points Table, Schedule and Results in Indian Standard Time, Goal Statistics, Goal Scores, Groups and Team Qualification
History and Records: History of All Previous Editions, History of Hattricks, Who Reached Top Four in Previous Editions!!
Group C Statistics
- 17 Goals scored in 6 matches.
James Rodríguez of Colombia was declared Man of the Match twice.
Colombia won all the three matches.
9 goals by Colombia is second highest by any team at group stage of 2014 World Cup.
Group C Records
- 3-0 win is Colombia’s biggest in World Cup.
Greece reached knockout for the first time.
Ivory Coast failed for third consecutive in their overall three appearances at World Cup.
- Colombia’s Mondragon is the oldest player to play a World Cup match. 43 year old replaced their regular goalkeeper Ospina against Japan.
Honda became the highest goal scorer for Japan in World Cup, being the only Japanese to score in two editions.
Group Stage History of All Four
- Colombia reached the 2nd round for the second time after 1990 in fifth attempt. They failed in 1962, 1994 and 1998 World Cups.
Greece reached the 2nd round first time in third attempt, failing in 1994 and 2010 World Cups.
Ivory Coast failed for the third consecutive time.
Japan continued the trend of one second round appearance followed by knock out. In 1998 and 2006 they failed. In 2002 and 2010 they qualified for next round. So in 2014 they were bound to fail, if you believe in numerology.
Group C Points Tally
M=Matches, W=Won, L=Loss, D = Draw, GS=Goals Scored, GC=Goals conceded, GD= Goal difference, P=Points
Group C Match Results
- 1. Colombia def Greece 3-0 , Man of the Match: James Rodríguez
2. Ivory Coast def Japan 2-1, Man of the Match: Yaya Touré
3. Colombia def Ivory Coast, Man of the Match: James Rodríguez
4. Greece drew Japan 0-0, Man of the Match: Keisuke Honda
5. Colombia def Japan 4-1, Man of the Match: Jackson Martínez
6. Greece def Ivory Coast 2-1, Man of the Match: Georgios Samaras
Goal Scorers of Group A
- Colombia: 9 (3: Rodriguez, 2: Martínez, 1: Pablo Armero, Teófilo Gutiérrez, Juan Quintero, Cuadrado)
Japan: 2 (1: Keisuke Honda, Okazaki)
Ivory Coast: 4 (2: Gervinho, Wilfried Bony)
Greece: 2 (1: Samaris, Samaras)