Before the last matches of Group G everyone was sure that Germany will defeat USA. Banking on that Ghana and Portugal were supposed to win with a margin that could make them qualify above USA goal difference. USA lost by 1 Goal. Ghana weakened themselves before match as players were sent home for indiscipline. Portugal won but they needed to win by 5 goals margin. They won by a margin of one goal missing multiple chances, 5 of the most easiest were missed by Ronaldo alone. In the end, despite losing USA qualified with the undefeated Germany.
Summary: Group A, Group B, Group C, Group D, Group F
FIFA World Cup 2014: Points Table, Schedule and Results in Indian Standard Time, Goal Statistics, Goal Scores, Groups and Team Qualification
History and Records: History of All Previous Editions, History of Hattricks, Who Reached Top Four in Previous Editions!!
Group G Statistics
- 19 goals in 6 matches produced the best goal percentage of a group in the 2014 World Cup.
Muller emerged as the highest scorer with 4 goals joining Messi and Neymar on top.
Muller scored a hattrick.
Muller earned 3 MOM awards.
Ironically Ronaldo earned one MOM in the match where he missed 5 chances and scored one goal.
Sulley Muntari of Ghana was suspended for the last match due to yellow cards.
Kevin-Prince Boateng and Sulley Muntari were suspended from team before their third match of the group, due to indiscipline.
Own Goal by Ghana vs Portugal.
- Germany became the first team to play 100 matches in World Cup, during their first match of the Group vs Portugal.
Germany has now 7 hattricks against its name in World Cup.
Dempsey scored the fastest goal by an American in World Cup, scoring in 30 seconds after kick off.
World Cup Record
- First Water break in a World Cup match when referee stopped the game in 39th minute of USA vs Portugal match.
Two brothers faced each other in World Cup match for second time as Jérôme Boateng (Germany) and Kevin-Prince Boateng (Ghana) played the match. They had played in 2010 also.
- Muller scored a hattrick, the 49th hattrick of World Cup.
5th fastest in World Cup history: Goal after 30 seconds by Dempsey (USA vs Ghana).
Latest World Cup Goal: Goal by Varela (Portugal vs USA) in 94:33 minutes in regulation time.
15 goals by Klose equals the record by Ronaldo of Brazil in World Cup for maximum goals.
Klose joins Pele and Uwe Seeker to be the only player to score in 4 different World Cups.
6 Goals tally by Asamoh Gyan (Ghana) is the highest by any player from Africa in World Cup. He broke the 5 goal record of Roger Milla of Cameroon.
Gyan is the first African Player to score in three different World Cups.
Dempsey is the first American Player to score in three different World Cups.
Resuls of Group G
- 1. Germany def Portugal 4-0, Man of the Match: Muller
2. USA def Ghana 2-1, Man of the Match: Dempsey
3. Germany drew Ghana 2-2, Man of the Match: Mario Gotze
4. USA drew Portugal 2-2, Man of the Match: Tim Howard
5. Germany def USA 1-0, Man of the Match: Muller
6. Portugal def Ghana 2-1, Man of the Match: Ronaldo
Goal Scorers of Group G
- Germany: 7 (4: Thomas Mueller, 1: Mats Hummels, Gotze, Klose)
USA: 4 (2: Clint Dempsey, 1: John Brooks, Jermaine Jones)
Ghana: 4 (2: André Ayew, Asamoah Gyan)
Portugal: 4 (1: Nani, Silvestre Varela, Ronaldo)
Group G Teams in First Round
- Germany has been knocked out only once in first round in 17 appearances. That happened in 1938 when first round was a knockout.
USA finished 32nd in 1998. They earned their 5th 2nd round entry in 10th appearances.
Ghana has reached minimum 2nd round in both their appearances. In debut edition 2006 they reached 2nd round, while in last edition they reached the quarterfinals. First time they lost in first round.
Portugal, in 6 attempts has failed in first round thrice, in 1986, 2002 and 2014 World Cup.
Group G Points Table
M=Matches, W=Won, L=Loss, D = Draw, GS=Goals Scored, GC=Goals conceded, GD= Goal difference, P=Points
Bosnia and H= Bosnia and Herzegovina