Group E became the only group of 2014 World Cup from where both the qualifiers were Europeans. France and Switzerland asserted their supremacy over others and packed Ecuador and Honduras.
Summary: Group A, Group B, Group C, Group D, Group F, Group G
FIFA World Cup 2014: Points Table, Schedule and Results in Indian Standard Time, Goal Statistics, Goal Scores, Groups and Team Qualification
History and Records: History of All Previous Editions, History of Hattricks, Who Reached Top Four in Previous Editions!!
Group E Statistics
- 19 goals in 6 matches produced one of the highest goal percentage of a group in the 2014 World Cup.
Switzerland matches produced 13 of those goals.
France scored the highest 8 goals in the group.
Xherdan Shaqiri of Switzerland and Karim Benzema of France received two Man of the Match awards.
Yohan Cabaye of France was suspended for their last match due to yellow cards.
Group E Records
- Switzerland registered first win over South American country in 6th match, defeating Ecuador.
Honduras (1982-2014) matched the World record of maximum 5 matches without scoring a goal in a World Cup, held jointly by Bolivia (1930–1994) and Algeria (1986–2010) 100th World Cup goal of France came when Giroud scored the first goal of match vs Switzerland. They are the 5th country behind Brazil, Germany, Italy and Argentina to achieve the feat.
World Cup record, 2nd best, 511-minute World Cup scoreless streak of Honduras ended with goal against Ecuador. They are second to 517 minute record held by Bolivia (1930-1990).
Honduras became the 35th country to concede a hattrick in World Cup.
- Xherdan Shaqiri scored the 50th hattrick of World Cup, second hattrick of 2014 World Cup, and 2nd hattrick of Switzerland.
Group Stage History of All Four
- France reached the 22nd round for the 6th time in 14th appearance. Since winning the World Cup in 1998 it has failed thrice at group stage.
Switzerland reached 2nd round for the 6th time in 10th attempt.
Ecuador failed to reach 2nd round for the second time in three attempts. It reached 2nd round in 2006.
Honduras also failed to make it two 2nd round out of three attempts. It also reached 2nd round in 2006.
- Islam Slimani of Algeria was declared MOM twice.
Group E Points Tally
M=Matches, W=Won, L=Loss, D = Draw, GS=Goals Scored, GC=Goals conceded, GD= Goal difference, P=Points
Group E Match Results
- 1. Switzerland def Ecuador 2-1, Man of the Match: Xherdan Shaqiri
2. France def Honduras 3-0, Man of the Match: Karim Benzema
3. France def Switzerland 55-2, Man of the Match: Karim Benzema
4. Ecuador def Honduras 2-1, Man of the Match: Enner Valencia
5. Switzerland def Honduras 3-0, Man of the Match: Xherdan Shaqiri
6. France drew Ecuador 0-0, Man of the Match: Alexander Domínguez
Goal Scorers of Group E
- France : 8 (3: Karim Benzema, 1: Olivier Giroud, Blaise Matuidi, Moussa Sissoko, Mathieu Valbuena)
Switzerland: 7 (3: Xherdan Shaqiri, 1: Blerim Džemaili, Admir Mehmedi, Haris Seferović, Granit Xhaka)
Ecuador: 3 (3: Enner Valencia)
Honduras: 1 (1: Carlo Costly)