Germany vs France rivalry in World Cup is remembered for Fontaine’s goals and Schumacher’s physical assault. In World Cup they have met thrice and after the humiliation of 1958 World Cup, Germans have won in 1982 and 1986 World Cup. France has a better Head to Head record. Their disgraceful moment was the brutal physical attack by German Goalkeeper Harald Schumacher on the French substitute Patrick Battiston that resulted in two broken teeth, three cracked ribs and a damaged vertebra (See the video below). Known by various nick names both the teams are competing as equals, yet Germans hold edge and look favorites to create a World Cup record. Check their World Cup clashes report, overall Head to Head, and the verdict.
Record Awaits Germany
Uruguay (1930, 1950, 1954), Brazil (1970, 1974 and 1978), France (1982, 1986, 1998) and Germany have reached the World Cup semifinals thrice in their respective three consecutive attempts. Germany is the only nation to have achieved the feat thrice (1966, 1970, 1974, then 1982, 1986, 1990, and now 2002, 2006, 2010). Now a win would make them the only nation to reach four consecutive World Cup semifinals.
FIFA World Cup 2014: Points Table, Goal Statistics, Goal Scores, Groups and Team Qualification
History and Records: History of All Previous Editions, History of Hattricks, Who Reached Top Four in Previous Editions!!
Nick Names of Both Teams
- Germany: DFB eleven, the eagles, the black & white
France: the blues and the tri colors
Head to Head
They have played 25 matches against each other and France has emerged winner on 11 occasions, while Germany won 8. 6 matches ended in a draw. Germany has scored more goals, but lost more matches. Germany has scored 42 goals as compared to 41 goals by France against them.
At the World Cups
They have met thrice. First in 1958 World Cup for the third position match, followed by the infamous 1982 World Cup Semifinal, and then in 1986 World Cup Semifinal.
1958 World Cup
- Both teams lost the semifinals and met for third place match. Although France could not win the World Cup, but the tournament belonged to Just Fontaine, who in the company of Raymond Kopa, dissected the Germans to hit four goals, and the French won 6-3, their biggest win by France surpassing the maximum number of goals scored when Germany defeated France 4-0 in 1937 and then 5-1 in 1967.
1982 World Cup
- In the semifinal of 1982 World Cup, after 1-1 draw in regulation time, the French led 3-1 in extra time. But the goals by substitute Karl-Heinz Rummenigge and Klaus Fischer saw Germans draw level. In the penalty the German Goalkeeper Schumacher saved the shot from Didier Six and Bossis, as the Germans won 5-4.
Earlier in the match the German goalkeeper Schumacher has got Germany into more controversy after their role in the match known as Disgrace of Gijón at the Group stage. He attacked the French substitute Battiston, who appeared almost dead, but survived.
1986 World Cup
- They again met at the semifinal and goals by Andreas Brehme and Rudi Völler saw Germans win 2-0.
Current World Cup
- In the current World Cup both were the group toppers with 2 wins and a draw. Germany topped Group G, defeating Portugal 4-0, USA 1-0 and drawing Ghana 2-2. In the Round of 16 they somehow managed to edge Algeria in extra time 2-1.
France topped Group E defeating Honduras 3-0, Switzerland 5-2 and playing goalless draw with Ecuador. In the Round of 16, they defeated Nigeria 2-0.
Past World Cup Performances
- France has got knocked out in Quarter finals only once. They have proceeded on other 5 occasions, and in those twice they have reached the final, winning in 1998.
Germany, in 18 editions, have failed to reach quarterfinals only in 1938 World Cup. They have failed in quarter finals in 1962, 1994 and 1998 World Cups. They have reached the semifinals on 12 occasions. They have reached the quarter finals and semifinals on maximum occasions by any country in the World Cup.
Both the teams have good attack, but Germans have comparatively weaker defence. In the knockouts France is yet to defeat Germany, and they are still looking for that revenge of the 1982 assault by German goalkeeper. Besides that incident their matches have displayed good games of football. The quarter final match cannot be expected to be different considering the impressive attack of both the teams in their last four matches. Germans have an overall edge in the number of experienced players who can convert chances into goals. They should reach their record 13th semifinal, the 4th consecutive one, another record in World Cup.