Since the beginning of BWF Super Series Masters in 2008, only twice have Indians reached the finals. The Super Series, played at the end of every year hosts the top 8 ranked players of all the five events. Saina Nehwal has been a regular participant since 2008 and reached the final once. Mixed Doubles team of V Diju & Jwala Gutta have also participated once and reached the finals.
Saina Nehwal: Second Indian to Reach the Final
Saina has played in 7 out of 8 editions, including 2015. She failed to finish in top 8 and hence did not qualify for 2010 Super Series. She has reached the semifinals in 2008, 2009 and 2012. Her best performance came in 2011 when she reached the final. Only in 2013 she failed to reach the semifinal.
2008: 7th Ranked Saina Lost the Semifinal
- Group B: Defeated Pi Hongyan (France) and Wong Mew Choo Malaysia), lost to group topper Tine Rasmussen (Denmark)
Semifinal: Wang Chen (Hong Kong) won 15-21, 21-14, 21-16
2009: Saina Lost the Semifinal
- Group A: Lost to Mew Choo Wong (Malaysia), def Charmaine Reid (Canada) and Porntip (Thailand).
Lost the semifinal to Juliane Schenk (Germany) 21-18 21-18.
2010: Did not qualify for the tournament
- Her ranking went beyond top 8 in Women’s Singles and she did not qualified for the Super Series.
2011: Saina lost the final
- Group B: Saina won all the three matches defeating Wang Xin (China), Sayaka Sato (Japan) and Bae Youn-joo (Korea).
Semifinal: Defeated Tine Baun (Denmark) in straight sets. But Final: Wang Yihan of China emerged victorious 18-21, 21-13, 21-13.
2012: 4th Seed Saina Reached 4th Semifinal
- Group B: Won her last match against Juliane Schenk (Germany) but lost other two matches to Tine Baun (Denmark), Intanon (Thailand).
Semifinal: Lost to top seed Xuerui Li (China) 22-20 7-21 21-13
2013: 2nd Seed Saina fails to reach the semifinal
- Lost 2 matches in the group placed against Li Xuerui (China), Bae Youn-joo (Korea) and Minatsu Mitani (Japan). She could only defeat Bae.
2014: 3rd seed Saina lost 5th semifinal
- Won all the three matches at Group A, playing against Sung-ji-hun, Bae Yeon-ju (both from Korea), Shixian Wang (China). Lost the semifinal to Tai Tzu-ying (Taipei) 21-11 13-21 9-21.