Dhoni became the captain of Indian ODI team in September 2007 as India hosted Australia for a 7 ODI series. Since then he has become the only captain in the world to win all the three ICC Trophies: ODI World Cup (2011), T20 World Cup (2007) and Champions Trophy (2013). In between he has captained India in many bilateral series and 15 tournaments. India won 6 of them, finished Runners up in 4 and did not reach the finals or semifinals in the remaining 5 tournaments. Here is the record of India under Dhoni as ODI captain in all the 15 tournaments.
- Commonwealth Bank Series: India def Australia in first two finals to win.
Asia Cup: India lost the Final to Sri Lanka
Kitply Cup in Bangladesh: India lost the Final to Pakistan
- ICC Champions Trophy: India did not reach semifinals.
Compaq Cup: India won the final at Colombo.
- Tri-Nation Tournament in Bangladesh: India lost the Final to Sri Lanka
Asia Cup: India won defeating Sri Lanka at Sri Lanka.
Sri Lanka Triangular Series: India lost the Final to Sri Lanka
- World Cup: India def Sri Lanka in the finals.
- Commonwealth Bank Series: India did not reach the final.
Asia Cup: Pakistan def Bangladesh in Final.
- ICC Champions Trophy: India def England in the Final
West Indies Tri-Nation Series: India def Sri lanka in the final.
- Asia Cup: Sri Lanka def Pakistan in the final.
- Carlton Mid One-Day International Tri-Series: India did not reach the final.