Sardar Patel Stadium, Motera, Ahmedabad is getting demolished, to make way for a new stadium with better facilities for all. The ground has seen Indian legends Gavaskar and Kapil Dev create World records, besides India winning the World Cup quarterfinal against Aussies and then defeating Pakistan in T20I. Here is a summary of some of the records created there.
1. hosted 12 Tests, 24 ODIs, 1 T20I between 1983 and 2014.
2. 1987: Sunil Gavaskar becoming the first-ever batsman to score 10000 Test runs.
3. 1994: Kapil Dev breaking Richard Hadlee’s then world record of 431 Test wickets
4. 2011: India defeats Aussies in ODI World Cup Quarterfinal.
5. Tests: India hosted England, New Zealand, Pakistan, South Africa, Sri Lanka and West Indies.
6. India won 4, lost 2 and 6 were drawn in test.
7. India lost to South Africa and West Indies in test.
8. India won against England, South Africa and Sri lanka (2).
9. Highest test total: 760/7d Sri Lanka in 2009.
10. Lowest Test Total: 76 by India vs South Africa in 2008
11. 29 Test centuries. 3 each maximum by Dravid and Tendulkar. Ganguly and Sehwag had 2 each.
12. 36 test wickets by Kumble (7 tests) is the highest.
13. 9/83 of Kapil vs West Indies in 1983 is the best test bowling in an innings.
14. 33 Test 1000+ p[partnerships including 5 200+ with 351 by Jayawardene brothers for 6th wicket in 2009 as the highest.
15. In ODIs, India played 15 of the 24 games hosted, lost 8 and won 7.
16. 9 teams, including India, played on this ground and only Zimbabwe could not win any ODI, losing all 7 they played.
17. 14 100+ ODI partnerships, 7 of them from Indians.
18. 15 ODI centuries at Motera, 6 of them from India.s
19. 6 300+ scores, 3 from India, one of them while chasing 324/4 from West Indies and once in loss against Pakistan.
20. India defeated Pakistan by 11 runs in the only T20I played here.