After Rio 2016, 72 countries are still to get any Olympic medals, while 87 out of 206 countries got their name on Medal Tally. 59 of them got Gold medal too. 307 Gold, 307 Silver and 361 Bronze constituted a total of 975 medals at Rio 2016. Check the medal statistics of Rio Olympics and the medal tally.
Rio Medal Statistics
- 1. 59 participating groups won Gold medals.
2. USA finished on top again. Only 11 times it has not finished on top.
3. Great Britain finished 2nd for the first time. 1st at 1908 London Olympics and 3rd at 2012 London Olympics is its other best finishes.
4. Brazil won first Football Gold.
5. 1st Silver for an Indian woman.
6. 1st Bronze for UAE.
7. Kosovo won first Gold in its Debut Olympics.
1st time Gold medal winner countries at Summer Olympics
- 1. 1st Gold and Silver for Bahrain in 9 appearances.
2. 1st Gold and Bronze for Ivory Coast in 13 appearances. They had won a Silver before.
3. 1st Gold and Olympic Medal for Fiji.
4. 1st Gold for Puerto Rico (18 Olympics). (Tennis Women’s Singles Monica Puig) They had won 2 Silver and 6 Bronze before.
5. 1st Gold for Singapore (16 Olympics). (Men’s Swimming Joseph Schooling Men’s 100M Butterfly) They had won 2 Silver and 2 Bronze before.
6. 1st Gold for Tajikistan (6 Olympics). They had won 1 Silver and 2 Bronze before.
7. 1st Gold for Vietnam (15 Olympics). They had won 2 Silver before.
8. 1st Gold and Bronze for Independent Olympic Athletes (IOA) in 3rd appearance.
1st time Silver medal winner countries at Summer Olympics
- 1. 1st Silver for Grenada (9 Olympics) and Burundi (6 Olympics) . They won a Gold before.
2. 1st Silver for Niger (12 Olympics). They won a Bronze before.
3. 1st Silver for Qatar (9 Olympics). They won 4 Bronze before.
Rio 2016: List of World and Olympic Records Created by Gender, Sports, Countries and Days
Indian History at Summer Olympics: Performances in Every Olympics
History of All Sports Played at Olympics by India
Indian Medals In Olympics: When and Who Got It!!
Indian Schedule and Results for Rio 2016: List of Daily Events
Daily Medal Statistics
- Day 1 (12 Medal Events): 20 Countries: Gold for 10 in 12 Medal events. Australia, Hungary led with 2 Gold each.
Day 2 (14 Medal Events): 29 Countries: Gold for 17 countries after 26 medal events. Leaders: USA, China, Australia with 3 Gold each.
Day 3 (14 Medal Events): 38 Countries: Gold for 20 countries after 40 medal events. Leaders: USA, China with 5 Gold medals each.
Day 4 (15 Medal Events): 47 Countries: Gold for 24 countries after 55 medal events. Leader: USA with 9 Gold medals.
Day 5 (20 Medal Events): 51 Countries: Gold for 28 countries after 75 medal events. Leader: USA with 10 Gold medals.
Day 6 (19 Medal Events): 56 Countries: Gold for 35 countries after 94 medal events. Leader: USA with 16 Gold medals.
Day 7 (24 Medal Events): 63 Countries: Gold for 39 countries after 118 medal events. Leader: USA with 20 Gold medals.
Day 8 (21 Medal Events): 65 Countries: Gold for 43 countries after 118 medal events. Leader: USA with 24 Gold medals.
Day 9 (22 Medal Events): 68 Countries: Gold for 47 countries after 140 medal events. Leader: USA with 26 Gold medals, Great Britain replaces China at 2nd place. Both have 15 Gold medals
Day 10 (17 Medal Events): 72 Countries: Gold for 49 countries after 157 medal events. Leader: USA with 26 Gold medals, Great Britain replaces at 2nd with 16 Gold medals.
Day 11 (25 Medal Events): 76 Countries: Gold for 53 countries after 182 medal events. Leader: USA with 28 Gold medals, Great Britain maintains 2nd with 19 Gold medals ahead of China (17 Gold)
Day 12 (16 Medal Events): 80 Countries: Gold for 54 countries after 198 medal events. Leader: USA with 30 Gold medals approaching century of medals, Great Britain maintains 2nd with 19 Gold medals ahead of China (19 Gold) winning 4 more Silver medals than China.