India has elected to bat in its 9th test appearance at SSC, Colombo. Under Kohli India won by 117 runs during the last tour which was their first win since 193 on this ground. In between they lost two to hosts on this ground which boasts of 23 100+ partnerships and 30 of 96 centuries scored during this rivalry. While batsmen should be looking forward to another feast, bowlers have only Muralitharan to take inspiration from whose spell in innings and also a test at Colombo (SSC) is the best between these two teams. India brought back regular test opener KL Rahul replacing Abhinav Mukund while Sri Lanka introduces another debutant in spinner-cum-allrounder Malinda Pushpakumara.
Some big questions!
1. Ind-SL test rivalry is 4 centuries away from 100 centuries. Will this test provide at least 4? It already has an average of 4 centuries per test match.
2. What will Pujara do to make his 50th test special? From current squads, Pujara and Mathews were the centurions in 2015 at this ground.
Interesting Facts about Colombo (SSC) for Ind vs SL rivalry
1. 2 wins each, 4 draw in 8 tests.
2. 30 of 96 centuries in their rivalry were scored in last 8 test matches here.
3. 11 centuries scored by Indians on this ground.
3. 23 100+ partnerships on this ground is way ahead of others in this rivalry.
4. 4 of the top 10 600+ scores between these two were scored on this ground.
5. Only triple century of Ind vs SL test rivalry was scored here by Jayasuriya in 1997.
6. Best bowling performances in Innings and match during this rivalry has come at this ground by none other than Muralitharan.
7. 4 centuries by Tendulkar including a double century.
8. Biggest test win between these two was also recorded here when SL won by an innings and 239 runs.
Squads for 2nd test
India XI: KL Rahul, Shikhar Dhawan, Pujara, Kohli, Rahane, Ashwin, Hardik Pandya, Saha, Jadeja, Umesh Yadav, Shami
Sri Lanka XI: Tharanga, Karunaratne, BKG Mendis, Chandimal, Mathews, Dickwella, DM de Silva, MDK Perera, Herath, Pushpakumara, Pradeep