In the final test, England opt to bat. India has already clinched the series 3-0. But, the test is not a dead rubber as multiple Indian record awaits Indian team, Captain Kohli and the set-to-be-legend Ashwin. Ishant Sharma and Amit Mishra get a chance as they replaces Bhuvneshwar Kumar and Jayant Yadav.
For England, Liam Dawson debuts replacing Woakes, Broad returns from injury replacing Anderson, whose off field activities got him more in news than his bowling.
1. India needs to at least draw to create a new Indian record of unbeaten streak of 18 test matches in 84 years of Indian Cricket. (Currently tied on 17 tests without loss with 1985-87 record)
2. Cook 2 runs away from being 10th batsman to score 11000 test runs.
3. Kohli needs 135 runs to break all-time record of highest runs by an Indian in test series. Gavaskar scored 774 runs.
4. Ashwin needs 3 wickets to break Dennis Lillee’s record of fastest 250 test wickets. Dennis needed 48 test matches, Ashwin will play his 44th test matches.
5. At Chennai, in 31 test matches India has won 13. Another win will make Chennai as India’s most successful test venue.
6. 9 wickets for Ashwin could break Chandrashekhar’s Indian record of highest ever 35 wickets (vs Eng in 1972) in any test series.
7. 8 wins in 2016 is already joint highest for Indian test team with 2010. One win will create new record of wins in a calendar year.
8. 47 More runs for Kohli will help him break Dravid’s record of highest runs by an Indian in a calendar year of 2626 runs in 53 international matches in 1999. Kohli has 2580 runs in just 36 matches.
9. 51 runs will make Kohli first Indian captain to score 1000 runs in a calendar year.
10. 93 runs will make Kohli the highest scoring Indian captain in a series surpassing Gavaskar’s 732 runs vs West Indies at home in 6 test series of 1978-79.
11. 113 runs will make Kohli the highest scorer in India vs England series breaking Graham Gooch’s 752 in 1990.
12. Another win will result into biggest test series win vs England. Ajit Wadekar, Mohammad Azharuddin and MS Dhoni have won three.
13. Ashwin needs one more 10-wicket haul to join Kumble on top with 8 10-wicket tally for an Indian record.