SSC Colombo, Sri Lanka: On the third day of the second test match between India and Sri Lanka, starting from 95 without loss, India ended the day at 361/4, still requiring 61 runs to avoid consecutive follow-on.
Sehwag and Murali Vijay started the day from where they left yesterday and added another 80 runs to provide the first wicket partnership of 175 runs. But when India looked good to gain an edge in the match, Sehwag was out on 99, becoming the first victim of debutant Randiv. With him India lost two more quick wickets, when Vijay and Dravid followed suit in quick succession adding just 8 more runs to the scoreboard.
Tendulkar with veteran Laxman added few vital runs. But Laxman also failed to continue and India were looking towards another shameful batting performance, on what was touted as batsmen paradise after SL scored 642 runs only by losing 4 wickets. Raina, in his first test match, made sure that India again get stability. In his 100 plus partnership with Tendulkar, India finished the day on 361/4.
Tendulkar added one more century to his huge bucket, making it century number 48. Raina looks impressive to score century on debut. Yet, Indian fans will know from the position of strength it hardly takes few failed shots to get in the danger zone. Will Raina score century on debut is not a question of much importance when seeing the bigger eminent danger of India again losing 10 wickets on a batting pitch.
How long can Tendulkar and Raina continue will answer many questions for the test!! Most probably it should be a draw from here, unless India decides to lose even here, despite having a strong batting line-up facing one of the weakest Sri Lankan bowling attack.
1. Randiv opens his test account with Sehwag’s wicket.
2. Tendulkar scored his 48th test century.
3. Raina scors half century on debut.
4. Sehwag is out on 99 for the first time.
5. Mahela has become the first batsman in the world to score 10 centuries on one ground, surpassing Bradman;s record of 9 centuries on one ground.
6. Mahela with his century became the highest number of century maker (7) from SL agains India.
7. Sangakkara has hit his 7th double century becoming the 4th batsman in the world to achieve the feat.