In 1877, Melbourne hosted the first-ever test match of Cricket history. The hosts, Australia needed just 4 days to defeat the father of Cricket, England by 45 runs in what started as timeless match. Since then Melbourne Cricket Ground has hosted 105 more test matches, and 91 of them has produced result. It is the only ground in World which has produced 16 Test results since 1997. Check the history of MCG for test matches.
Ind in Aus 2014-15 Series: Schedule & Results
Indian Test Record in Melbourne
In the low scoring match, Australia’s first inning total of 245 runs was the highest score with England getting bowled in both innings below 200 (196 & 108) and Australia scoring only 104 runs in their second innings. While 3 bowlers (Australian Midwinter 5/78 and Kendall 7/55, and English A Shaw 5/38) grabbing 5-wkt haul, Australian opener Bannerman’s 165 (only century of match) was the differntiating factor. English openrr H Jupp’s 63 was the only 50-plus score of the match.
The test saw following records:
- 1. Southerton at 49 years 119 days is still the oldest test debutant.
2. Charles Bannerman of Australia became the first batsman to face a ball in test cricket and also became the first test centurion too.
3. Alfred Shaw grabbed the first test wicket and test catch too.
Countrywise Record at MCG
Highest Team Scores
- 604 Aus vs Eng 1937
600 Aus vs Eng 1925
575/8d Aus vs Ind 1948
445 Ind vs Australia, 1985
Maximum Individual Run Tally
- 1671 Don Bradman (11 tests, 17 ings)
- 82 Denniss Lillee (14 tests, 26 ings)
56 Warne (11 tests, 21 ings)
Leave a Reply