Galle, Sri Lanka: As expected, Sri Lanka won the first test easily with 10 wickets. Laxman in the company of tailenders gave 94 run lead to India, but Indian team appeared in a hurry to get over with the match and allowed Sri Lankan openers to practice 20-20 game to reach the target in a jiffy with a run rate touching almost 7 runs per over and all wickets intact.
Starting Day 4, Sehwag hit his 20th century but with his rash shot started batting collapse and India was asked to follow on. At the end of the day they have already lost 5 crucial wickets and were 63 runs behind. 5th Day awaits Muraliâ€™s 800 wickets, and SLâ€™s victory. Murali just needs 2 more wickets to extend his record to 800. India finished Day 4 on 181/5 and are just about to play a part in giving perfect winning farewell to the bowling legend Muralitharan.
The first test of the 2010 3-test series between SL and India started on July 18. Here are the highlights of the 4th day of the first test. SL declared at 520/8. India played 29.4 overs to score 140/3 on Day 3.
Venue: Galle 18th – 22nd July
Captains: Dhoni (India), Sangakkara (SL)
Result: SL won by 10 wickets
Man of the Match: Malinga (8 wickets and half century)
NT Paranavitana , TM Dilshan, KC Sangakkara, DPMD Jayawardene, TT Samaraweera, AD Mathews, HAPW Jayawardene, HMRKB Herath, SL Malinga, M Muralitharan, UWMBCA Welegedara
G Gambhir, V Sehwag, R Dravid, SR Tendulkar, VVS Laxman, Yuvraj Singh, MS Dhoni*â€ , Harbhajan Singh, PP Ojha, I Sharma, A Mithun
1. Muralitharan played his last test, quitting Test Cricket. He will be available for other international games formats.
2. Abhimanyu Mithun started his career for India with a high.
Dhoni was expected to display his magic. But he again failed. Malinga was making sure that Murali retires with a win. Yet, the tailenders Mithun, Ishand and Pragyan in the company of Laxman showed that the SL bowling was not so threatening. Murali scalped his 800th wicket when he had India’s last wicket Pragyan Ojha caught by his best catching patner Mahela. India were bundled with a lead of 95 runs. Dilshan and Parnavitana scored it easily in the 14th over. Indians were not ready to even give a fight.
India (f/o) 2nd innings
Gambhir c HAPW Jayawardene b Malinga 0
Sehwag c DPMD Jayawardene b Welegedara 31 runs
Dravid c Sangakkara b Malinga 44 runs
Tendulkar lbw Malinga 85 runs
Laxman run out (Mathews) 69 runs
Yuvraj c DPMD Jayawardene b Muralitharan 5 runs
MS Dhoni*â€ b Malinga 4 runs
Harbhajan Singh lbw b Muralitharan 8 runs
A Mithun lbw b Malinga 25 runs
I Sharma not out 31 runs
PP Ojha c DPMD Jayawardene b Muralitharan 13runs
Extras (b 5, lb 9, w 2, nb 8) 24
Total (all out; 115.4 overs; 457 mins) 338 runs
Fall of Wickets
1-0 (Gambhir, 0.3 ov), 2-42 (Sehwag, 10.3 ov), 3-161 (Dravid, 52.4 ov), 4-172 (Tendulkar, 54.3 ov), 5-181 (Yuvraj Singh, 59.3 ov), 6-186 (Dhoni, 60.5 ov), 7-197 (Harbhajan Singh, 63.6 ov), 8-246 (Mithun, 81.3 ov), 9-314 (Laxman, 100.2 ov), 10-338 (Ojha, 115.4 ov)
SL 2nd Innings (Target of 95 runs to win)
NT Paranavitana not out 23 runs
TM Dilshan not out 68 runs
Extras (w 1, nb 4) 5
Total (0 wickets; 14.1 overs; 70 mins) 96 runs
1. The 2nd Wicket Partnership was their 2nd best for SL against India. 576 run partnership between Jayasuriya and Roshan Mahanama for 2nd wicket is the best partnership for any wicket between SL and Ind.
2. Paranavitana and Sangakkara scored century number 77 and 78 in Ind Vs SL series.
3. Their century was 36 and 37th century by SL against India in Test matches.
4. Sangakkara scored 4th test century against India.
5. Malinga scored his first half century in test matches.
6. Sehwag scored his 20th century.
7. Muralitharan took his 67th 5 wicket haul.
8. Tendulkar and Dravid extended their record century partnerships to 18.
9. Dravid has now been a partner in record 84 century partnerships.
10. Dravid became the second batsman in Test history to reach 9000 Test runs at the no. 3 position. Ricky Ponting heads the table with 9447, while Kumar Sangakkara is at third spot with 7019.
11. Mithun and Ishant scored their highest test match score.
12. Malinga and Murali finished the match with 8 wickets in both innings.
13. Muralitharan and Mahela have record 78 dismissals between them.