His career in IPL started with being announced as the Icon for Mumbai in the inaugural season of 2008 IPL. As a result he was the automatic choice for Captain of the most expensive franchise of IPL when it was launched. His presence in the team has made Mumbai Indians the most watched on television. He has captained Mumbai Indians in 3 editions. Check the record of his Captaincy, Opening partners and 4 ducks in IPL.
Know IPLs Tendulkar
- The 8th Match of Mumbai Indians in IPL 2008 was Sachin Tendulkar’s first IPL match!!
He scored 12 runs on 16 balls with a boundary and six in his first innings of IPL played against CSK and was bowled by Joginder Sharma. His opening partner Sanath Jayasuriya scored unbeaten century and they added 82 runs in 7.2 overs as MI won by 9 wickets at Wankhede, Mumbai.
65 (46 balls, 12 fours) against Kings XI was his first IPL score of 50+ runs, scored in his 4th IPL match.
First MOM came at South Africa due to his unbeaten 49-ball 59 runs against CSK.
One of the four players to have hit 3 consecutive half-centuries. He achieved the feat in 2010.
Retired hurt vs CSK in the 9th match of MI in IPL 2010, and returned to complete his innings at Chennai. He scored 35-ball 45 runs with 6 fours.
Sachin has 4 ducks to his credit in IPL, Two of them are golden ducks while on two occasions he was out on 3rd ball of his innings.
As an opener Sachin had 14 different partners till the 6th match of IPL 2013 in 66 innings.
On 4 occasions he did open but played at number 4 and 5.
He has bowled 6 overs in IPL.
He has been nothing short of being phenomenal in IPL too. His captaincy failed even in IPL although like always he prospered as a batsman and is the third highest run scorer of IPL till date, besides having hit the maximum boundaries (only fours) in the history of IPL.
He was the automatic choice for captaining Mumbai Indians unless he asked to be relieved in 2010. Since then he has kept playing as a batsman.
He also captained Mumbai Indians in 2010 CLT20 tournament for 4 matches scoring 135 runs.
Sachin and his Opening Partners in IPL
In 6 editions and 70 matches Sachin has opened on 66 occasions with 14 different partners. On 4 occasions he did not open, thrice coming at number 4 and once coming at number 5.
Batting at Other Positions
In 2009 he did not open the innings in 4 matches.
- Against DD and was run out by Karthik on 15 runs.
Against Kings XI Punjab scored unbeaten 29-ball 41 runs (4 fours, 1 six)
Against CSK scored 14-ball 11 runs.
- 40 runs (30 balls, 4 fours, 1 six) vs RR.
Name of Opening Partners
Sanath Jayasuriya (20 innings), Shikhar Dhawan (9 innings), Davy Jacobs (6 innings), James Franklin (6 innings), Blizzard (6 innings), Ponting (5 innings), Herschelle Gibbs (4 innings), Dwayn Smith (4 innings), T Suman (2 innings), Blizzard (2 innings), Richard Levi (2 innings), C Madan (1 inning), Ryan McLaren (1 inning), R Sathish (1 inning)
- With Sanath Jayasuriya in 7 innings he had 4 50+ partnership where Jayasuriya was more dominant.
- With Sanath Jayasuriya in 9 innings.
- 4 with Sanath, 9 with Dhawan, 1 with C Madan (wicketkeeper) and 1 with McLaren.
First 3 innings with Sanath Jayasuriya, then 7 innings with Shikhar Dhawan, 11th with Sanath, 12th with C Madan, 13th with Ryan McLaren, Semifinal and Final again with Dhawan.
- Davy Jacobs 3, Franklin 1, R Sathish 1, Jacobs 3, Blizzard 4, T Suman 2, Blizzard 2 (Both Eliminators)
- Richard Levi 1, James Franklin 2, Blizzard 1, Richard Levi 1, James Franklin 3, Herschelle Gibbs 4, Dwayn Smith 2 (including Eliminator)
- Ponting (5), Dwayn Smith (2)
Sachin’s 4 ducks in IPL
- 1st IPL duck came in his 2nd IPL match when he was caught behind by Saha on the bowling of Shoaib Akhtar playing against KKR at Wankhede, Mumbai.
2nd duck in 2009 vs RCB when he was caught behind by Boucher on the bowling of Vinay Kumar(RCB). Played 3 balls again.
3rd duck in 2012 vs RCB caught Kohli b Zaheer Khan (RCB). This was his first golden duck in IPL. This was his 2nd golden duck in IPL.
4th duck in 2013 bowled by Nannes (CSK).