Men’s and Women’s teams represent India with 18-member team each. After 41 years, Indian Men’s Team entered the semifinal while Women’s team entered the knockout round in their third attempt. Men’s team is placed with New Zealand, Australia, Argentina, Spain and Japan in the Group. Women’s team is placed with Netherlands, Germany, Great Britain, Ireland and South Africa. Both the teams entered semifinals creating history. Indian Men’s team won Bronze medal, a medal after 41 years, while Women’s team finished 4th.
- Vandana Katariya became the 1st Indian women to score a hattrick at Olympics.
- Semifinal for Indian Men’s team after 1980.
- Knockout for women after 41 years, their third Olympics after 1980 and 2016)
- 1st Semifinal for Indian Women’s team.
Head Coach: Graham Reid (Australia)
Captain: Mandeep Singh
Goalkeeper: P R Sreejesh
Forwards: Dilpreet Singh, Gurjant Singh, Mandeep Singh, Lalit Upadhyay, Shamsher Singh
Defenders: Rupinder Pal Singh, Surender Kumar, Harmanpreet Singh, Birendra Lakra, Amit Rohidas
Midfielders: Manpreet Singh, Hardik Singh, Sumit, Nilakanta Sharma, Vivek Prasad
- Head Coach: Sjoerd Marijne (Spain)
- Captain: Rani Rampal
- Goalkeeper: Savita Punia
- Forwards: Sharmila Devi, Vandana Katariya, Lalremsiami, Navneet Kaur, Rani Rampal
- Defenders: Gurjit Kaur, Deep Grace Ekka, Nikki Pradhan, Udita Duhan
- Midfielders: Navjot Kaur, Monika Malik, Nisha, Sushila Chanu, Salima Tete, Neha Goyal
Schedule & Results
Indian Men’s team finished 2nd in the group behind Australia. With 4 wins and 1 loss they earned 12 points, scored 15 goals and conceded 13 goals at Group stage. Finally, won a Bronze after a long wait.
- July 24 vs New Zealand 10 AM – Won 3-2 (Goals: 2 Harmanpreet Singh, 1 Rupinderpal)
- July 25 vs Australia 6.30 PM – Lost 1-7 (Goal: 1 Dilpreet)
- July 27 vs Spain 10 AM – Won 3-0 (Goals: 2 Rupinderpal, 1 Simranjeet)
- July 29 vs Argentina 9.30 AM – Won 3-1 (Goals: 1 each: Varun, Vivek, Harmanpreet)
- July 30 vs Japan 6.30 PM – Won 5-3 (Goals: 2 Gurjant, 1 each Harmanpreet, Shamsher, Nilakanta)
- Aug 1 QF vs England 5.30 PM – Won 3-1 (Goals: 1 each Dilpreet, Gurjant, Hardik)
- Aug 3 SF vs Belgium 8.30 AM -Lost 2-5 (Goals: 1 each Harmanpreet, Mandeep)
- Aug 5 Bronze Won 5-4 vs Germany (Goals: 2 Simranjeet, 1 each: Harmanpreet, Hardik, Rupinderpal)
Indian Women’s team finished 4th in the group. With 2 wins and 3 losses they earned 6 points, scored 7 goals and conceded 14 goals at Group stage. Vandana Katariya became the 1st Indian women to score a hattrick at Olympics.
- July 24 vs Netherlands 8.45 PM – Lost 1-5 (Goal: Rani Rampal)
- July 26 vs Germany 9.15 PM – Lost 0-2
- July 28 vs Great Britain 10 AM – Lost – 1-4 (Goal: 1 Sharmila)
- July 30 vs Ireland 11.45 AM – Won 1-0 (Goal: 1 Navneet)
- July 31 vs South Africa 12.15 PM – Won 4-3 (Goal: 3 Vandana Katariya , 1 Neha)
- Aug 2 QF vs Australia 8.30 AM – Won 1-0 (Goal: Gurjit Kaur)
- Aug 4 SF Lost 1-2 vs Argentina (Goal: Gurjit Kaur)
- Aug 6 Bronze Medal match: Lost 3-4 vs Great Britain (Goals: 2 Gurjit Kaur, 1 Vandana Katariya)