Seven wrestlers represented India at Tokyo Olympics (held in 2021). 19-year old Sonam Malik started the campaign while World No. 1 Bajrang Punia was elected the Indian Flag Bearer for the closing ceremony. After Hockey, Wrestling with 5 medals has the second best contribution in Indian Olympics medal tally. After the first medal in 1952, from 2008 Indian wrestlers have won four medals till 2016 Olympics. Bajrang Punia and Vinesh Phogat joined Tokyo Olympics as World No. 1.
- Two World No. 1, Bajrang Punia and Vinesh Phogat, World No. 2 Deepak Punia .
- From 2008, India has won at least one medal in Wrestling in every Olympics.
- First time, number of Women’s wrestlers is more than Men’s wrestler as Sumit Malik was disqualified at the last moment.
- Ravi Kumar won Silver in Men’s 57 Kg Category.
Schedule and Results
Aug 3: Sonam Malik (Freestyle 62 kg women’s): Lost 2-2 to Bolortuyaa (Mongolia)
Aug 4: Anshu Malik (Freestyle 57 kg women’s):
- Round of 16: Lost 2-8 vs Kurachkina (Belarus)
- Aug 5: Repechage Round Lost 1-5 vs Koblova (ROC)
Aug 4: Ravi Kumar Dahiya (Freestyle 57 kg Men’s)
- Round of 16: Won 13-2 vs Tigreros (Columbia)
- Round of 8: Won 14-4 Vs Vangelov (Bulgaria)
- SF: Won vs Sanayev (Kazakhstan)
- Aug 5 – Final: Lost 4-7 vs Uguev (ROC)
Aug 4: Deepak Punia (Freestyle 86 kg Men’s)
- Round of 16 Won 13-2 vs Agiomor (Nigeria)
- Round of 8 won 6-3 vs Lin Zushen (China)
- SF: Lost 0-10 vs Taylor (USA)
- Aug 5: Bronze Medal Match: Lost 2-3 vs Amine (San Mario)
Aug 5: Vinesh Phogat (Freestyle 53 kg women’s)
- Round of 16: Won 7-1 vs Mattsson (Sweden)
- QF: Lost 3-9 on fall vs Kaladzinskaya (Belarus)
Aug 6: Seema Bisla (Freestyle 50 kg women’s)
- Round of 16: Lost 1-3 vs Hamdi (Tunisia)
Aug 6: Bajrang Punia (Freestyle 65 kg Men’s)
- Round of 16 Won 2-2 vs Akmataliev (KGZ) on winner by technical points
- QF: Won 2-1 by Fall vs Morteza (Iran)
- SF: Lost 5-12 vs Aliyev (Azerbaijan)
- Aug 7: Bronze medal vs TBD