On the final day of the Champions Trophy at Bhubaneswar, Germany defeated Pakistan for the third time in Champions Trophy final to win their 10th such title. The young team from Germany was completely different in the knockout stage as compared to their poor performances at the Pool Stage where they finished at the bottom. The final was played between the teams that finished at bottom of their groups at Pool Stage. As India finished 4th for the 7th time, losing 9th match to Australia at champions Trophy, Indian goalkeeper Sreejesh Ravindran and Akashdeep Singh won individual awards.
2014 Champions Trophy Hockey Fixture and Results
104 Goals in 24 Matches, 4 Players Scored Highest Number of Goals
- Player of the Tournament: Moritz Fürste (Germany)
Goalkeeper of the Tournament: Sreejesh Ravindran (India)
Young Player of the Tournament: Akashdeep Singh (India)
Top Goalscorer: Jeroen Hertzberger (Netherlands)
Match Results Today
- With goals from Wesley in 18th minute and Fuchs in 58th minute Germany comfortably defeated Pakistan 2-0. For the highly objectionable celebration against India in the semifinal, Pakistan’s Muhammad Tousiq and Ali Amjad were banned for the final by FIH.
- Australia defeated India to win the third position match. Ockenden (18th) and Gohdes (5nd) scored goals for Australia while Lalit Upadhyay (42nd) scored equaliser for India.
- Top seeds Netherlands routed Argentina 4-1 to finish 5th. Argentina took the lead through Paredes in 19th minute and led till 3rd quarter. The last quarter saw 4 goals from Netherlands through Van der Weerden (47th), Herzberger (55th, 58th) and Jonker (56th).
- The best team of pool stage England finished 7th winning 3-2 against Belgium. Belgium took the lead in 10th minute through Van Aubel, who scored 2nd goal also for them in 39th minute. Condon (14th, 19th) struck twice and Griffiths (30th) once to take England to victory.
Leave a Reply