The World Cup 2015 semifinal between India and Australia was one of the talking point of the tournament. It did not live up to the high expectation as India lost by 95 runs and unlike the first memorable first semifinal, a very one-sided game was on display. While the match could be remembered for some cameo from Indian bowlers and some batsmen, the match was more about Aussie batting depth and aggressive bowling. Steven Smith would be more remembered for his review call, a very rare one, and a sharp run out. Here are some statistics related to the match.
- Australia won by 95 runs
Score: Aus 328/7, Ind 233 (46.5)
MOM: Steven Smith
6s & 4s
- 8 6s by Aussies and 5 6s by Indians.
33 4s by Aussies, 15 4s by Indians.
World Cup Statistics
- India’s record for bowling out 7 opponents in consecutive matches came to a halt.
For the first time in World Cup 2015, Indians were bowled out.
4 wickets by Umesh Yadav in the semifinal and quarterfinal is the only instance of Indian bowlers grabbing 4 or more wickets in World Cup knockouts.
- 105 run by Steven Smith scored on 93 balls with 11 4s and 2 6s.
116-ball 81 runs scored by Aaron Finch with a six and 7 4s.
Run-a-ball 65 runs scored by Dhoni with 3 4s and 2 6s.
- Australia leads India 8-3 now in World Cup matches.
Australia won its 2nd knockout at World Cup vs India.
- Australia maintained its record of winning all the 7 semifinals it has entered in ODI World Cups.
India lost its third World Cup semifinal after 1987 and 1996 World Cup, both time at home.
- 328 is the first 300+ score in a World Cup semifinal.
95 run win is the biggest margin of win in a World Cup semifinal.
Dhoni became the third ODI Captain, after Ricky Ponting (8497) and Stephen Fleming (6295) to score 6000+ runs (6022) as a captain.